In order to improve BTMORPH’s spatial querying capabilities, an implementation of Guttman’s (1984) R-tree and an investigation to determine the best parameters for performance was conducted. This presentation will discuss:
- the precursory improvements to work flow
- the implementation of forest structures that were a necessary to the addition of spatial indexing into BTMORPH
- the effects on the R-tree of the parameter M
- the method of node splitting during R-tree construction
- the BTMORPH forest handling strategy
All of which were used to produce a 400% reduction in average search time on a 130,000 node search.